“England Swings” Chart Performance
“England Swings” was written and performed by Roger Miller in 1965. The song peaked at No. 3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs, in 1966 for 16 weeks. Furthermore, it peaked at No. 8 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, in 1965. His song also peaked at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary charts for 1 week in 1966.
The Song’s Content
The song “England Swings” is about the typical life in London back in the days. He sings about how life is when living in London or when you travel there. Miller also mentioned famous places in England, like the Westminster Abbey and the Big Ben. He describes the people living in England, how they dress and how they look like. He included the way British people talk.
“Tryin’ to mock the way they talk fun but all in vain.”
All in all, it is a beautiful song that describes the beautiful place called England. The song described England in the 60’s, but now England has changed in some ways. However, there are still other parts of this song that are still preserved in the beautiful city of England.
A Children Song’s Version
Miller’s song was covered by a kid-friendly singing group called the Wiggles. Alongside with the group is their fellow Australian singer Keith Urban. The song was part of the Wiggles album Let’s Eat! They performed a happy piano version of this song in 2011. It’s a child-friendly song the kids will surely enjoy and sing along with.
“England Swing” refers to the time in England which refers to Swinging London. This was a time after the World War II. There was a change from old to new in the culture and social life of the youth. Changes occurred from their fashion, music to attitudes. During this era, the Beatles, Twiggy, and Jean Shrimpton rose to fame.
england swings, roger miller, wiggles
- Ryan Upchurch Responds to Luke Combs’ Apology and Calls Him ‘F—ing Sissy’
- Meet The Sweet Lily Pearl Black, Clint Black’s Only Daughter
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- Vivian Liberto, Johnny Cash’s First Wife, Speaks Up About Their Ruined Marriage
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend