There’s something amusing about hearing women sing with a thick hilly-billy accent. And Patsy Montana here, (1908-1196) is the epitome of southern lady drawl.
Does anyone still remember her? Much less know her? Alright, for those who don’t, you must be at least familiar with yodeling? (A lost art today in country music, but I digress.) What about the song “I want to be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart?” Ring any bell? No?
Well, she happens to be the first female country singer who sold over 2 million copies of music recording and here’s the catch; that was the time when the Great Depression was sore. Practically speaking, money would better be used for food and clothing in those years, and yet, people bought her album. (Hmm…That’s something to ponder on about the nature of her music.) Anyhow, she became a part of the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1996, the same year of her death in May 3.
Her success and influence blazed the trail for the recognition of other yodeling female country singers. Before Kitty Wells, Jean Sheppard, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton were given that distinction; it was Patsy Montana who was first heard yodeling with signature song “I want to be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart”. Back then, yodeling, singing, and playing your guitar was what was expected from a Western singer. It sure was fun. You should try it. (You then couldn’t blame your grandparents or parents why they love to yodel.)
Now..Now..Country ladies. Do you want to be a cowboy’s sweetheart? Learn to yodel.
Kidding aside, yodeling is not that simple to do. Many of our contemporaries make fun of it because they find it hilarious. Nevertheless, should you want to learn how, there are several videos you could find online. Speaking of which, here’s more yodeling for ‘ya by Patsy Montana.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Let’s Go Down the River to Pray with Alison Krauss
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Remember When Brad Paisley’s “Accidental Racist” Raised Some Eyebrows?