Traditional American folk song
Back in the 1850s, “The Yellow Rose of Texas,” a traditional American folk became popular on the radio, and also the unofficial state song of the State of Texas. . Asongwriter known as J.K. wrote the song. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.
Historically, Emily West is the original “Yellow Rose of Texas.” West is a black woman from New York who moved to Texas, and saved the incipient Republic of Texas in 1836. She was abducted by a Mexican tyrant to be his temporary “wife.” Emily West is the Texan version of the biblical heroine Judith. Just like Judith who saved the Hebrew nation by seducing an enemy general, West kept Santa Anna amorously distracted in his tent during the battle. In some early versions of the song, the narrator who longs to return to his yellow rose is a black man.
Civil war version
And now I’m going southward, for my heart is full of woe,
I’m going back to Georgia, to see my Uncle Joe.
You may talk about your Beauregard, and sing of Bobbie Lee,
But the gallant Hood of Texas played hell in Tennessee.
In 1984, country music artists Johnny Lee and Lane Brody recorded a song called “The Yellow Rose.”
The version retained the original melody of “The Yellow Rose of Texas” but with new lyrics, for the title theme to a TV series also entitled The Yellow Rose. It became a Number One country hit that year.
Music is everywhere. Every culture has it. It was always there. It records everything. It’s a living history. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it, but those who rock remember. Here at Country Thang Daily, we continue to remember and support our legendary artists who build standards of what we call real country music. Be one with us, let’s share countrified spirits!
Emily West, Yellow Rose of Texas
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Remember When Garth Brooks And Billy Joel Surprised Fans With “Shameless” Duet
- Get to Know Jeff Dunham’s Children and His Life as a Father
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend