Whenever a country star writes a song and another person records it, there is no certainty that the song will be a hit. However, in Tucker’s case, it became a hit when she recorded the song “Would You Lay with Me (In a Field of Stone)” written by another country star, David Alan Coe.
On December 1973, Tanya Tucker released “Would You Lay with Me (In a Field of Stone)” as the first single off of her album with the same title. After the months of going up the charts, the song claimed the no. 1 spot on Billboard’s Country Chart on March 30, 1974.
This song, “Would You Lay with Me” was also Tucker’s best-performing crossover hit up to that time. After the song peaked at the 46th spot on the Billboard Hot 100. The only other song of Tucker’s to perform better on the pop charts was her 1975 single “Lizzie and the Rainman.”
It’s obvious that the song is a love song, however, only a few know the true story behind the song’s creation and origination. Before a performance at the Belterra Casino Resort on March 2015, Tanya Tucker revealed that the writer, Billy Coe originally wrote the song to serve as his brother’s wedding vows.
You can hear in the song that the narrator asks her lover if he will continue to stay by her side, no matter what. She asks him a series of questions to test his loyalty to her, singing “Will you still love me/When I’m down and out/In my time of trial/Will you stand by me.”
Would You Lay with Me (In a Field of Stone)
Through the years, many other artists have recorded this song, including Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash, but we think that Tanya Tucker’s rendition is still the best. Do you agree? Let us know in the comment section below and don’t forget to share this untold story to other country fans!
- Billy Ray Cyrus’ Net Worth and Other Things You May Not Know About the Country Singer
- Get to Know the Children of The Country Legend, George Jones
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- What Happened to Blake Shelton’s First Wife, Kaynette Williams
- How Alan Jackson Helped His Daughter Through the Heartbreaking Loss of Her Husband
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?