In a macho filled world of country music, the Shotgun himself fired a very strong stance about cowboy homosexuality and yes, Willie Nelson does not see anything wrong with it. While many people thought that the film Brokeback Mountain explored the romance between men who wear jeans and cowboy hats, Willie Nelson’s cover of the song “Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other” already discussed this in the same year in a humorous way. To those who are unfamiliar with the song, it is in fact, an ode to the cowboys who love other cowboys most of the time in a secretly, frequently manner. It also makes a strong case for those who are triggered easily of homosexuality are also those who are ‘queer’ themselves.
Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other, Willie Nelson
The original version of Cowboys Are Frequently, Secretly Fond of Each Other was recorded by Latin country musician Ned Sublette. Willie Nelson’s version was recorded in 2005. In an interview, Nelson dished about how he finds the song funny and why it was timely to released the song the day before Brokeback Mountain:
“I thought it was the funniest goddamn song I’d ever heard. I had it on the bus for 20 years, and people would come in and I’d play it. When Brokeback Mountain come out, it just seemed like a good time to kick it out of the closet”
The music video was filmed in Dallas, Texas gay cowboy bar, ‘The Round Up Saloon’ which features several hunks dressed in cowboy attire while Nelson’s voice filled the video with the song of acceptance. It can also be noted that Willie Nelson’s version of the said song set another record for the artist as the first ever LGBTQ-themed mainstream country song by a major artist in the country industry.
Watch the music video below and let us know what you think:
cowboys, Willie Nelson
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List