Or okay, it could also be called a ‘missionary hymn’ considering the lyrics. Still, it is my pick for evening hymn since it makes you recollect your thoughts at the end of the day.
“Wherever He Leads I’ll Go” by Alan Jackson
I say listening to this tune is ideal when your mind is a jumble. Besides giving you a much-needed perspective on your life’s direction, the calming melody can freshen your spirit when you feel like your strength is depleting.
ABOUT THE HYMN
“Wherever He Leads I’ll Go” were the actual words of Rev. R.S Jones when asked about his future plans. After doing some mission work in Brazil, he fell ill and had to return home. Following his recovery, he was prohibited by his doctors to return to his mission field.
Those words stayed with B.B McKinney, a Southern Baptist songwriter and a friend of Jones as they sat for dinner. That same evening of their convention where Jones was also the featured speaker, McKinney had the rest of the lyrics written and he sang it in closing to Jones’ message.
From its first publication in the 1930’s, this hymn appeared on various known hymn books. To mention a few, we got The Celebration Hymnal: Songs and Hymns for Worship, Hymns of Faith, Small church Music, and The New National Baptist Hymnal.
Its significance and prominence rose by the mid-1970’s. At present, it is now a familiar tune among Baptist congregations.
ABOUT THE TEXT
The song’s content has parallelism to the text of other hymns: I Surrender All, Jesus Calls Us, O’er the Tumult, Take My Life, and Let It Be, All for Jesus!, and Jesus, My Cross Have Taken.
They all speak of a surrendered heart and mind. A willing attitude to be at God’s disposal and to follow wherever he leads.
hymn, King George
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Get to Know Jeff Dunham’s Children and His Life as a Father
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Remember When Garth Brooks And Billy Joel Surprised Fans With “Shameless” Duet
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend