It’s very nice to see this rare footage of Randy Travis in his first TV appearance. Born in 1959, one the future country legends was only 19 years old back then. This was the start of a great career for the one of the voices of country music.
Randy Travis spent years struggling for widespread recognition before he became one of the defining voices of country music in the late 1980’s. His voice was a sound that Nashville executives initially deemed “too country” which blossomed very early in his career. His late ’70s recordings for Paula Records, issued under the future Randy Travis’ real name Randy Traywick, prove that his abilities were on full display back then.
Footage from what appears to be a public access television show titled Variety Showcase captures what is labeled as “Travis’ first television appearance” in 1978, though we weren’t able to verify if that claim is accurate. In the rare clip, Travis performs the George Jones’ chestnut “All the Praises.”
Randy Travis sustained his love of legendary performers made him a staunch traditionalist in a pop-oriented field. In some respects, he was the Chris Stapleton or Jason Isbell of his time, offering old souls a new alternative.
By the 1990’s, Travis’ love of old-school country came full-circle. He became a recurring duet partner for Jones whenever they appeared on the same television program. It was a role that vaulted many talented women (Margie Singleton, Melba Montgomery and of course Tammy Wynette) to greater renown in years’ past. At this stage in Jones’ career, sharing vocal duties with him served as a lifetime achievement award for Travis, as he entered the same class of true country crooners as his idols.
Don’t you think this video was amazing? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below and don’t forget to share this video with other country music fans.
- Garth Brooks’ Daughters All Turned Up To Be These Gorgeous. Meet Them Here!
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family