“Only Daddy That’ll Walk the Line” was written by Jimmy Bryant and was covered by numerous musicians from 1968 to 1991. However, Waylon Jennings made it famous by the time he recorded it. His outstanding vocals fit the song well. Jennings’ version of “Only Daddy That’ll Walk The Line” was released in 1968 for his album Only The Greatest. Jennings’ cover of the song had the highest peak on the Billboard charts. The song peaked at No. 2 on the US Billboard Hot Country songs in 1968. But, Jennings was not the first artist to record this song. Do you have any idea who it was?
The Original Version
Jim Alley, an American country singer, first recorded the song in 1967. However, his version didn’t become that popular during his time. “Only Daddy That’ll Walk The Line” landed at the 73 position on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. Furthermore, it remained on the charts for a total of 2 weeks only.
Linda Ronstadt and Hank Williams Jr.’s Version
Other country singers and bands that covered Alley’s song were Linda Ronstadt, Hank Williams Jr., and The Kentucky Headhunters. In 1969, Linda released her version as part of her album Hand Sown Home Grown. Linda changed the word Daddy into Mama to fit her gender to the song, while Hank Williams’ Jr. released his version in 1979. Linda and Williams’ version of the song didn’t make it to the US Billboard.
The Song’s Content
A man tries to tell his woman that he is tired of all the things she is doing to him. He wants to leave his woman because he is fed up with her attitude, acting like a child. Even though he wants to leave her, he is sure that when she asked him not to he will cave into her demands and stay. The only reason he wants to leave her is probably her immaturity.
only daddy that'll walk in line, Waylon Jennings
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Sandy Mahl And The Top 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Her
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend