About the Song
“It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” is a country song originally recorded by American country music singer-songwriter Jon Randall. American singer-songwriter and instrumentalist Darrell Scott penned the song. Initially, it was planned to be included on Great Day to Be Alive, an album which would have been released in the late ’90s. However, it failed to be sent to the BNA Records.
Furthermore, American country music artist Travis Tritt rendered a version of the song and made it famous. In fact, he was credited with owning the song. His version was officially released in December 2000. It was his second single from his seventh album, Down the Road I Go. Moreover, Tritt co-produced his recording with American record producer Billy Joe Walker, Jr. for Columbia Nashville Records.
Before Tritt’s cover, “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” has been also recorded by other artists and groups. Most notably, American country-rock band, The Sky Kings, recorded their own version in 1995. The group consists of Bill Lloyd, Rusty Young, and John Cowan. Their version, however, went unreleased until Rhino Handmade released it in 2000.
Chart Performance: Tritt’s Version
Despite not being the original artist of the song, Travis Tritt deserves the credit for he made “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” famous in the early 2000s. Not only did he popularize it, his version also entered the charts in 2000 – 2001. As a matter of fact, Tritt’s version peaked at no. 2 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs. On the other hand, it clinched the 33rd spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
WATCH: Travis Tritt performs his 2000 hit “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” live.
Any thoughts? Tell us what you think. Don’t forget to like and share this post. Share the country spirit, folks! For more country reads, visit our website. Follow us also on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
It's a Great Day to Be Alive, Travis Tritt
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait