Do you remember the story of a broken woman in the Bible who was looking for healing by touching Jesus’ coat? That was such a great story of faith and healing. The unnamed woman was suffering from bleeding for 12 years, and the society considered her a castaway. Her circumstances prevented her from entering the temple and having close contact with other people. Because of this, she felt being entirely disconnected from God and man. Even the doctors have denied her of any hope to be cured. But the woman wasn’t left entirely hopeless; she thought of Jesus to be her last resort.
With firm conviction, she told herself that if only she could touch the hem of Jesus’ garment, she would be cured completely. The woman’s faith was so firm that she didn’t think of touching any part of Jesus’ body to find healing, just the bottom of His clothing. Certainly, it’s her faith in Jesus’ power that restored her. And not only did Christ cure her physical illness, but it also set her soul free.
“Touch the Hem of His Garment”
Given the Biblical account’s impactful message, many gospel lyricists and musicians wrote a song about it. One example of which was Sam Cooke’s “Touch the Hem of His Garment.” The lyrics to the song exactly mirrored the broken woman’s story of her strong faith in Christ as her ultimate healing.
She stood there cryin’ “Oh Lord” (Oh Lord)
“Oh Lord” and “Oh Lord” (Oh Lord)
“Oh Lord” (Oh Lord)
And “Oh Lord” (Oh Lord)
Said “if I could just touch the hem of your garment
I know I’ll be made whole right now”
The American gospel music group The Stirrers were among the first to record the song. They specifically came up with their version of “Touch the Hem of His Garment” in 1956. The Soul Stirrers group was a pioneer in the development of the quartet style of gospel. Additionally, their spans over eight decades.
Listen to Sam Cooke and The Soul Stirrers’ soulful delivery of “Touch the Hem of His Garment” below.
Sam Cooke, The Soul Stirrers, Touch the Hem of His Garment
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Watch Scotty McCreery’s Spine-Tingling Rendition of “Hello Darlin’”
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Who Is Laine Hardy Dating? The American Idol Winner Is Super Tight-Lipped about His Love Life
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend