If someone you love left and promised you that they will return, will you patiently wait for them? Will you hold on to the promise even if they left you? Or will you go on with your life instead of waiting for something that you are not sure of coming back? “Then and Only Then” by Connie Smith tells the story of a woman who patiently waits for her lover to return. He left her and said he would return, yet he did not tell her when he will come back. Therefore, she holds on to his promise day and night. Even though it hurts her and makes her unhappy, she still believed in him.
“Then and Only Then”
This sad love song of holding on to a promise is recorded by Connie Smith. “Then and Only Then” is her second single to top the Billboard chart in 1964. It peaked at No. 4 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs Chart. Moreover, the song spent a total of 24 weeks on the chart. “Then and Only Then” is one of her singles from her first studio album Connie Smith. This became her second hit single following the biggest hit in her career and also her first song to peak at No. 1, “Once a Day.” Both her singles “Once a Day” and “Then and Only Then” were written by Bill Anderson.
Her first studio album Connie Smith peaked at the 105th position on the Billboard 200 chart. Moreover, the album secures the No. 1 spot on the US Billboard Top Country Albums in 1965. The album has three singles that entered the Billboard chart (“Once a Day,” “Then and Only Then,” and “Tiny Blue Transistor Radio.”)
Connie Smith’s Only No. 1 Song
Connie Smith has only one number one song on the chart, “Once a Day.” She never released a song that peaked at No. 1 again but most of her songs were able to enter the top 5 and top 10 of the Billboard chart.
Bill Anderson, Connie Smith, then and only then
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce