“Thank God I’m a Country Boy”, also known as “Country Boy” is a song recorded by John Denver. The American singer and songwriter released it for his 1974 album Back Home Again. It was also the year when he was firmly established as America’s best-selling performer. John Martin Sommers was the smart man behind “Thank God I’m a Country Boy’s” lyrics.
On August 26, 1974, there was a version recorded live at the Universal Amphitheatre in Los Angeles. This track was included on his 1975 album An Evening with John Denver.
The live version of “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” was released as one of the six singles in 1975. This went to No. 1 on both the Billboard magazine Hot Country Singles and Billboard Hot 100 charts. The song topped both charts for one week each, first on May 31st on the country chart. Additionally, the Hot 100 chart a week later. Denver’s two-sided hit “I’m Sorry”/ “Calypso” also received that distinction.
In 1977, an ABC television special featured “Thank God I’m a Country Boy”. It starred John Denver as host, with the accompaniment of Johnny Cash (guitar), Roger Miller (fiddle) and Glen Campbell (banjo).
John Denver’s Background
On December 31, 1943, Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. was born. Known professionally as John Denver, he was an American musician, singer-songwriter, record producer, activist, actor, and humanitarian. Among these, his greatest commercial success was as a solo singer that started in the 1970s. During his time, he was one of the most popular acoustic artists and one of its best-selling artists. While growing up in his military family, he did not have a permanent address. After traveling and living in numerous locations, Denver began his music career in folk music groups in the late 1960s. Throughout his career—death on October 12, 1997—John Denver recorded and released approximately 300 songs. About 200 of which, he composed. He earned a total of over 33 million.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family