The song “Tennessee Waltz” has been covered by a lot of musicians throughout history. With countless versions and recordings, it is hard to pinpoint which is the best one. However, one can say that Patti Page‘s rendition of the song is really special. Her sweet voice really shined throughout the song and a lot of people gravitated towards it.
“Tennessee Waltz” and What it Accomplished
Because of the mega-success of the song, it became the 4th official song of the state of Tennessee in 1965. In addition to this, her version topped the Billboard charts for country, pop, and R&B, and this was a feat that no other artists were able to do. Patti Page recorded the song “The Tennessee Waltz” to serve as the B-side to the seasonal single “Boogie Woogie Santa Claus.” It was issued by Mercury Records.
Other R&B artists and country musicians recorded the song but only a few were able to achieve the success of Patti’s version. One of the latest version of the song was when Kelly Clarkson performed it at the 2013 Grammy’s as a tribute to Patti Page.
I was dancing with my darling to the Tennessee Waltz
When an old friend I happened to see
I introduced her to my loved one
And while they were dancing
My friend stole my sweetheart from me
The song “Tennessee Waltz” may have a bitter tone and lyrics but the way that Patti performed it was so sweet and endearing. It really makes the listeners sympathize with her because of the pain and emotions that were put into the song. She may have lost her lover to her friend but she was not resentful, nor does she hate her friend. There is just that longing and feeling of sweet pain in the song and it is quite addicting to listen to it.
Listen to “Tennessee Waltz” here:
Patti Page, tennessee waltz
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait