A Little about Juice Newton
In 1974, Judy Kay “Juice” Newton teamed with then-boyfriend Otha Young and Tom Keely to form a country/rock band, Silver Spur. Well, she didn’t expect overnight success. However, she didn’t think it would take seven years to gain a hit record either.
Dropping the “Silver Spur” moniker, Juice Newton put out two solo LPs which yielded a little more than critical acclaim. She thought she had her first hit with “It’s A Heartache.” However, Bonnie Tyler released the same song at the same time and nixed Newton’s efforts.
Now signed to Capitol Records, the 1981 album “Juice” finally brought Newton to the forefront on Billboard’s Hot 100 pop chart. Her remake of Merrilee Rush’s “Angel Of The Morning” reached No. 4, while “Queen Of Hearts” soared to No. 2 and remained there for two weeks. With several options open for the third single, Capitol decided on “The Sweetest Thing (I’ve Ever Known)” after Newton’s live performance of that song received an overwhelming response at the annual Country Radio Seminar in 1981.
A Song for Juice
Otha Young had written the song for Juice back in 1974. “The Sweetest Thing (I’ve Ever Known)” had first appeared on their 1975 “Silver Spur” project. For the “Juice” album, they worked up two re-mixed versions. One featured a soft woodwind instrument called an oboe. Another version blended with a pedal steel guitar. The two are very different-sounding instruments. However, it gave each cut its own special character and feel.
“The Sweetest Thing (I’ve Ever Known)” reached No. 1 on Billboard’s country singles chart on January 30, 1982, marking Juice Newton’s first of her four No. 1 country hits. The song also nailed down the No. 7 slot on the Billboard.
“The sweetest thing I’ve ever known is loving you.”
This might be the sweetest message you might receive from someone you love, isn’t it? Leave a comment below if you also think so. God Bless Your Heart.
- Get to Know Jeff Dunham’s Children and His Life as a Father
- Meet Audrey Murdick, the Wife of Ventriloquist Jeff Dunham
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Paige Dunham, The One Who Helped Jeff Dunham Rise To Fame
- Fans Coming Up To Chris Young With Tears In Their Eyes After Listening to “Drowning”
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?