“Texas in 1880” is a song written by Radney Foster. Popularized and recorded by Foster & Lloyd, its release was in April 1988. It was the American country music duo’s third single from the album Foster & Lloyd. On the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart, the song reached number 18.
Thirteen years later, Foster covered “Texas in 1880” with Pat Green on the album Are You Ready for the Big Show? This 2001 version peaked at number 54 on the country charts.
Foster & Lloyd Brief History
The tandem consists of Radney Foster, lead vocals, and rhythm guitar. In charge of the harmony and occasional lead vocals, lead and rhythm guitars, is Bill Lloyd.
While the pair was working at MTM publishing in Nashville, they met. One of their compositions is co-written, the country hit “Since I Found You” in 1986. The two wrote it for Sweethearts of the Rodeo before obtaining their own record deal. Their self-titled debut LP produced five hit singles on the U.S. Billboard country music charts. Apart from those, they had follow-up albums: Faster & Llouder (1989) and Version of the Truth (1990). Unfortunately, these were less successful. After the third record, they went separate ways and got solo careers. In 2010, Radney and Bill reunited and released a fourth studio album in May 2011.
In 1987, while still a member of the duo, Lloyd released his debut solo album, Feeling the Elephant. Having a different style—power pop—it greatly differed from that of Foster & Lloyd. The said album was critically acclaimed but commercially unsuccessful. Following the disbanding of the group, Lloyd released a second album, Set to Pop.
Because of their tasteful blend of popular country and rock and roll, critics hailed them. As described by Foster, their style is “a country garage band harking back to what was best in music in the ’50s and ’60s and making it part of the ’80s”. Their musical style combined Foster’s plainspoken lyrics with Lloyd’s virtuoso guitar licks and power pop sensibilities.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family