In January of 2010, Steve Azar released “Sunshine (Everybody Needs a Little)“ as the second song from his Slide on Over Here album. But, did you know that prior to its studio release, “Sunshine” had been in Azar’s set list for more than a year? Let us know more on how Steve Azar and his rhythmist, Jason Young, created this special song.
Is “Sunshine” For Steve’s Wife?
In most cases, when you want to write a song, you schedule when you are going to do it. Sometimes, you even know what to write. Of course, it is vital to be in shape and in a good mood when you do it. Always, to have an inspiration before you write a song really helps much. However, for Steve Azar, it is not always the case. Most of the time, he starts making up a song even during a show or at sound checks. He easily lets his emotions take over him. He does not schedule it, the idea just happens.
As much as everybody goes on to tell that Azar wrote this about his wife, he says he did not. Although he was sure he was thinking of her at the back of his mind somewhere, it was more because he is in the mood. They had just started the Bob Seger tour and it was very dark in his area. He was at the back of the tour bus. He was listening to jazz music, watching the food network, and was watching ESPN. The dark, cold room drove him to pen “Sunshine”. He did not plan on anything that day, not even composing a song. He was out of his mind a little bit and not really fixated on anything. That was when these lines started messing his mind:
Your dark hair draped across my pillow
I finally got it right.
Azar started to share it with Jason, and the next thing they know they are already playing it on their Seger tour.
It’s For Everyone
Azar describes “Sunshine” as a song that puts people into a trance. Even the people who have been married more than thirty years can fall in love with the song’s story. Listen to this song. One of the deals where Azar grassed in and recorded after about a year and a half of playing it live.
Read more song inspirations and listen to your all-time country favorites by visiting our website on Country Thang Daily.
Steve Azar, Sunshine
- Ryan Upchurch’s “Can I Get A Outlaw” Is In The Hot Seat Right Now. Here’s Why!
- The Incredible Story of How Yellowstone’s Ryan Bingham Got His Role
- Overcoming Loss with “Go Rest High on that Mountain” by Vince Gill
- ‘Grease’ is Under Fire, Critics Want It Taken Down From Screens. Here’s Why!
- How George Strait’s “Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind” crossed the minds of millions
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Here Are Some of The Incredible Things You Can Do At Loretta Lynn’s Ranch