Young Sonny James
James Hugh Loden known as Sonny James was born on May 1, 1928, in Hackleburg, Alabama. When he was young, James learned to play different musical instruments and was introduced to music. James and his family performed on a local radio show. They performed daily in radio shows around Knoxville, Tennessee, and North Carolina, thus making them a big hit.
Hold of his music career
When James joined the National Guard his career was temporarily interrupted. James and other guardsmen were sent to Korea during the Korean conflict in 1950.
His return to music
After his military service in Korea, he moved to Nashville. He reconnected with his old roommate Chet Atkins. Atkins introduced James to Ken Nelson who was an executive at Capitol Records. Thus James signed a deal with Capitol Records.
The recording studio asked him to change his name James Loden to Sonny James because it’s easier to remember.
Top performing records and recognitions
“Young Love”, one of James top hit reached the number one spot in the US Country and Pop charts in 1956. Then James made history when he had a legendary streak of 16 consecutive No. 1’s from 1967 to 1971. It was written by Ric Cartey and Carole Joyner.
“You’re the Only World I Know” is James second number one hit after “Young Love”. It was written by James himself and Bob Tubert. James was the first country artist to receive a star at Hollywood’s walk of fame. In 2006, James was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
Some of James hits are “Since I Met You Baby,” “Empty Arms,” “It’s Just a Matter of Time,” and “A Little Bit South of Saskatoon.”
The Southern Gentleman
He was dubbed as the “Southern Gentleman” because of his impeccable manners, of being humble and soft-spoken.
Passing away of a legend
James passed away at 87 years old, on February 22, 2016, two years from now. His death was announced on his website. He died of natural cause at Nashville.
Even though it has been two years Sonny James passed away, he will always be remembered by his fans and people who love him.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Who Is Laine Hardy Dating? The American Idol Winner Is Super Tight-Lipped about His Love Life
- Watch Scotty McCreery’s Spine-Tingling Rendition of “Hello Darlin’”
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music