According to custom, people in Eastern countries remove their footwear before entering mosques, synagogues, and houses. Westerners conform out of respect, but a few perhaps, know the backstory of it. The custom can actually be traced back to an ancient occurrence when a man named Moses met with the living God.
Every Sunday schooler knows the story of Moses and the Burning Bush. But, why did God ask him to take his shoes off? We’ll tackle that briefly, but first, enjoy listening to this gospel bluegrass sang by Ms. Courtney Patton.
Songwriter: J. D. Jarvis (1967)
Artist: Courtney Patton
Our Story Teller, Courtney Patton
This Texan wife and mother is an itinerant musician who has visited Canada and Europe. Her country folks Walt Wilkins, Bruce Robison, Jamie Lin Wilson, Cody Jinks, Sunny Sweeney, Brennen Leigh and Drew Kennedy travel with her. She and her band are independent and they do music more as a passion and less of a profession.
Singers who served as her inspiration were Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Don Williams, James Taylor, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, and Neil Young.
Now, it’s time to decipher what’s in the song, Take Your Shoes Off Moses.
Standing on Holy Ground
After Yahweh introduced himself, he wanted Moses to remove his sandals.
Take your shoes off Moses
you’re on holy ground
Truth is, it’s not the ground that was sacred, but the Presence of God. When Moses heard Yahweh, he did not just obey as commanded but even hid his face. Moses’ act is a confession of his own unworthiness to be speaking directly to the Creator. This meekness led to his promotion and we know the rest of his deeds as written in the Bible.
Thank you for your continuous support of Country Thang Daily. Feel free to dig in our site and discover more songs and articles of your liking. For similar readings, click one of the tags below
bluegrass, Courtney Patton, gospel
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film