A bouquet of 24 roses or “Two Dozen Roses” has symbolic associations with 24-karat gold. Love means pure, true and polished while gold is eternal. Sending two dozen roses to a loved one is a perfect way to say, “I will love you forever”. Perhaps this is where Mac McAnally and Robert Byrne got their idea when they wrote the song “Two Dozen Roses”. American music group Shenandoah recorded it as the fourth single from their album The Road Not Taken. Released in August 1989, it was the third number 1 hit of Shenandoah on Canada Country Tracks and US Hot Country Songs.
The song is about a guy that wishes he could have done the right things for his lady—giving “two dozen roses” or “an open bottle of wine” or going as far as “If I really could’ve hung the moon, would you change your mind?”. If he had done all of the right things perhaps he wouldn’t have lost her. It was wishful thinking that he could win her back by doing the right things for her.
Shenandoah started in Alabama. Its original band members: Marty Raybon (on lead vocals and acoustic guitar), Ralph Ezell (on bass guitar), Stan Thorn (on keyboards), Jim Seales (on lead guitar), and Mike McGuire (on drums and background vocals). With band members having disagreement and separation, the band split up in 1997. However, in 2000 Thacker and McGuire revived it. Eventually, band members came in and out but Marty Raybon returned to the band in 2014. It made Raybon and McGuire as the only original members.
Throughout their respected career in country music, they have earned a Grammy award for “Best Country Collaboration with Vocals” for “Somewhere in the Vicinity of the Heart”. This was their duet with Alison Krauss. Moreover, they secured five No. 1 singles on the Billboard Hot Country charts, which include “The Church on Cumberland Road,” “Sunday in the South,” “Next to You, Next to Me,” “If Bubba Can Dance (I Can Too)” and “Two Dozen Roses”.
Like a fine wine, it only gets better with age. Shenandoah has released a new single “Noise”.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More