Thirty-six days more to go and it is Christmas time again! Got some of your presents purchased yet? If not, better have your list of Christmas songs ready. Be sure to include “Shake Me I Rattle (Squeeze Me I Cry).”
For those who’ve had their share of childhood in the 1960’s, this song brings back great memories. Today’s pick is the sweet version of Country and Gospel singer, Cristy Lane.
Cristy Lane’s Version
Aside from “One Day at a Time,” Lane’s recording of “Shake Me I Rattle” became another hit for her in 1977 and 1978. The tune is available on her Christmas CDs including “27 Christmas Classics,” “17 Christmas Classics,” and the “Greatest Hits volume 1 and 2.”
Marion Worth’s Version
“Shake Me I Rattle” is Marion Worth’s come-back song to the Country genre in December 1963. It turned out to be a good pick for her as it became an instant favorite! Hence, the track climbed the charts with ease reaching #15 for Country and #50 for Pop.
How it became a Christmas Song
The tune, however, was initially meant as a sentimental ballad by songwriters, Harold C. Hackady and Charles Naylor. Given that the lyrics pertained to toys and dolls, both Lane and Worth recorded it as a Christmas song. Call it luck or what, people’s reception for it was exceptional on both releases.
Other notable versions worth the check are as follows:
The Lennon Sisters (August 1957, 1st Release)
The Kaye Sisters (March 1958)
Living Voices (September 1963)
Derrick and The Sounds (1982)
Sharon Benjamin (2011)
To date, radio stations in Atlanta still give “Shake Me I Rattle (Squeeze Me I Cry)” some airplay. And why not? It’s perfect for the coming holidays and suitable for all ages!
Cristy Lane, Marion Worth
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- “Tennessee Whiskey” Dad Kris Jones Makes Daughter Proud, Fluid Cover Goes Viral
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry