Thirty-six days more to go and it is Christmas time again! Got some of your presents purchased yet? If not, better have your list of Christmas songs ready. Be sure to include “Shake Me I Rattle (Squeeze Me I Cry).”
For those who’ve had their share of childhood in the 1960’s, this song brings back great memories. Today’s pick is the sweet version of Country and Gospel singer, Cristy Lane.
Cristy Lane’s Version
Aside from “One Day at a Time,” Lane’s recording of “Shake Me I Rattle” became another hit for her in 1977 and 1978. The tune is available on her Christmas CDs including “27 Christmas Classics,” “17 Christmas Classics,” and the “Greatest Hits volume 1 and 2.”
Marion Worth’s Version
“Shake Me I Rattle” is Marion Worth’s come-back song to the Country genre in December 1963. It turned out to be a good pick for her as it became an instant favorite! Hence, the track climbed the charts with ease reaching #15 for Country and #50 for Pop.
How it became a Christmas Song
The tune, however, was initially meant as a sentimental ballad by songwriters, Harold C. Hackady and Charles Naylor. Given that the lyrics pertained to toys and dolls, both Lane and Worth recorded it as a Christmas song. Call it luck or what, people’s reception for it was exceptional on both releases.
Other notable versions worth the check are as follows:
The Lennon Sisters (August 1957, 1st Release)
The Kaye Sisters (March 1958)
Living Voices (September 1963)
Derrick and The Sounds (1982)
Sharon Benjamin (2011)
To date, radio stations in Atlanta still give “Shake Me I Rattle (Squeeze Me I Cry)” some airplay. And why not? It’s perfect for the coming holidays and suitable for all ages!
Cristy Lane, Marion Worth
- Meet John Denver’s Children: Where are they now?
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Charley Pride’s Son Honors Dad with “Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'”
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed