Hank Thompson is known for his song “The Wild Side of Life.” The song became popular in 1952 where Thompson earned his very first No. 1 song. This song sparks an answer song by Kitty Wells known as “It Wasn’t God Who Made the Honky Tonk Angels.” Thompson had 25 songs that entered the top 10 of the chart. In addition, he had scored 3 No. 1 songs which were “The Wild Side of Life,” “Rub-a-Dub-Dud,” and “Wake Up, Irene.” He recorded 47 albums all throughout his life from 1952 until 2000.
Seven Decades in Country Music
He had been in the country music industry for a long time. In 2000, Thompson released his album Seven Decades as a celebration to his seven decades as a country musician. The album contains new songs written by him, and some were old songs he recorded.
Here is the track list from Thompson’s album Seven Decades:
- “Sting In This Ole Bee”
- “In The Jailhouse Now”
- “Condo In Hondo”
- “Triflin’ Gal”
- “Dinner For One, Please James”
- “The Night Miss Nancy Ann’s Hotel For Single Girls Burned Down”
- “I’ll Start Believing In You”
- “Abdul Abulbul Amir”
- “Lobo the Hobo”
- “New Wine in Old Bottles”
- “Medicine Man”
- “Scotch and Soda”
- “Wreck of the Old ’97”
Some songs were not written by Thompson (“In the Jailhouse Now,” “Triflin’ Gal,” “Dinner for One, Please, James,” “The Night Miss Nancy Ann’s Hotel for Single Girls Burned Down,” “Scotch and Soda,” and “Wreck of the Old ’97.”). Moreover, the album did not enter the Billboard but Thompson was happy about the outcome of the album. The album was released under his record label Hightone.
Thompson may not have released any albums after this but he continued to tour. He died at the age of 82 in October 2007 due to Lung Cancer.
Hank Thompson, seven decades
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?