Photo Credits: Fanart.tv
The title of this song is one of the most interesting titles in country music. As Howard Bellamy said in an interview, the phrase came from one the 20th century’s most enduring comedians. Says Bellamy, “I have to give credit for that line to Groucho Marx. That’s going way back. Of course you’ve heard of the Marx Brothers. Groucho used to have a show on TV when we were growing up – which I hate to even admit how long ago that was – but he had a show called You Bet Your Life, and he’d have guests on, and different quiz questions. And Groucho smoked a cigar – that tells you how long ago it was, he smoked cigars on a TV show. He’d use that line occasionally, he’d say, ‘If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?’ and shake his cigar and kind of raise his eyebrows. So we had heard that line growing up, and our family always had a weird southern sense of humor, and they’d use that line around a lot. So it just came one day that it’d be a great song title.”
“If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body (Would You Hold It Against Me)” song was re-recorded with the sweet Dolly Parton for the Bellamy Brothers 2006 Angels and Outlaws album. Britney Spears released a song called “Hold It Against Me” with the lyrics in 2011, “If I said I want your body now, would you hold it against me?”
The Bellamy Brothers released this statement in response: “Hey, Brit, if I said you ripped off our song, would you hold it against me?” said Howard Bellamy. Added brother David, “If you listen to the lyrics of Britney Spears’ new single, you’ll find some major similarities… She’s a talented gal. But professionally, well, in all honesty, we feel completely ripped off. Where’s the originality?”
For the Bellamy Brothers, it’s all right. We all know that a lot of great songs that are being re-recorded came from country music. And, we know that she ain’t gonna hold it against you. Right? For more country, visit us www.countrythangdaily.com.
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Look! Alan Jackson’s Three Daughters are Now All Grown Up
- Chris Stapleton Kids: Get To Know The Country Powerhouse’s Five Children
- Kenny Chesney Is Mourning On The Death Of His Sweet Friend of 15 Years, Maria Rodriguez
- Country Music Awards:CMA, CMT, ACM; How Are They Different?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend