Roy Orbison revitalized the classic “My Prayer.” This song is a popular classic gospel romance song that dates back to the early 1930’s.
“My Prayer” is a popular gospel song that is from the late 1930s. Violinist Georges Boulanger provided the gorgeous melody while Carlos Gomez Barrera and Jimmy Kennedy penned the amazing lyrics.
The song’s original artists were Glenn Miller and The Platters. Miller’s version reached the third spot in the Billboard Top 100.
On the other hand, The Platters’ version became the most successful. It reached number one on the Billboard Top 100 in the summer. The song also ranked overall in the year-end countdown.
This song was featured in the 2008 film “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” It is also seen in other points in the media, such as the 1985 film Mischief, the 1999 film October sky. And most recently, it was featured in two episodes of the 2017 series Twin Peaks.
This version of the song captures a more romantic vibe and less of the solemnity that the song calls for. The Platters did an amazing job injecting a very romantic vibe in their interesting genre.
Listen to the doo-woop song below!
The Roy Orbison Version
Listen to the amazing song right here!
Orbison immediately injected a more somber mood in the song. It is fitting to the more reflective nature of the prayer. “My Prayer” is a mixture of conversing with both a lover and God. The singer is asking for more time with his lover.
Orbison fully captures the emotion of pleading for more time as well as the romance aspect of the song. It is capable to sweep you off your feet, but at the same time, you feel the solemnity and the sincerity of the song. All in all, he did an amazing cover of this!
Country Gospel, gospel, Gospel Classic, gospel country, My Prayer, Roy Orbison
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- Here Are The Top 40 Country Songs For September 2021
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed
- Brandi Carlile and wife Catherine Shepherd’s Sweet Love Story
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage