Back when TV entertainment got substance, Roy Clark was among the conscientious artists who have no qualms incorporating spiritual songs in his acts. Together with Grandpa Joe, Buck Owens, and Kenny Price, Clark would sing timeless hymns to close Hee Haw‘s segments. Today’s feature though is Clark as the lead man in Hank Williams’ classic, “I Saw the Light.”
He was underrated as a musician, don’t you think? Look at that banjo picking! He’s made quite a reputation with his guitar playing, as well. We sure did lose a great man this month. Nonetheless, there’s no need to mourn for him as we all know he’s now in heaven banjo picking with the angels.
Roy Clark: He Who “Picks” Knows How to “Give”
Underneath his reputation as an influential figure in entertainment particularly Country Music, Roy Clark was a known giver. In his heydays, Clark was noted as one who will share the stage with other budding artists. Once, he was quoted saying,
“I’ve just been so blessed in my life. It would be a sin for me to sit there and not share it, and not do something to help others.”
A man of his words, Clark built a community based school called Roy Clark Elementary in 1977. The endeavor came into fruition when it received the “Oklahoma Academic Achievement Award” from the Dept. of Education in 2011.
From 1972 and 1973, Roy Clark was named “Entertainer of the Year” both by the ACM and CMA. Thrice, CMA hailed Clark as the “Instrumentalist of the Year” in 1977, 1978, and 1980. Come 1982; his “Alabama Jubilee” won him a Grammy for “Best Country Instrumental Performance.” He also became a member of the Grand Ole Opry in 1987.
Lastly, for ceaselessly charming people with his humor and superb picking, Clark was inducted into both the “Country Music Hall of Fame” and Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2009.
buck owens, Grandpa Joe, hank williams, i saw the light, Kenny Price, roy clark
- One Good Deed: Country Music Star Left $1,000 Tip to Waitress Working Double with Daughter
- Kelly Clarkson Will Pay Ex-Husband Brandon Blackstock Nearly $200k Per Month Amid Divorce
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List
- “Angels Working Overtime:” A Deana Carter Hit
- Luke Combs’ Net Worth + Facts: Everything You Need To Know About The Country Star
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed