Like their singers, big-time hits come in all shapes and sizes of tunes and lyrics.
Like the previously written 1960 smash song, “Hello Walls” by Willie Nelson and cut by Faron Young, there were other sorts of goofy songs in the early 1960’s that also went huge. If you knew the wacky guy in this article’s title, then you probably could guess which songs I was pertaining to.
“ Dang me. Dang me.
They oughta take a rope and hang me…”
Can we call it an accidental genius when you are lamenting in a song and others poke fun at it yet patronize it at the same? Such was the case for this Roger Miller piece. It tickled many ears that it laughed its way to the top of Country Song Billboard for Singles. It even crossed over to pop hits’ top ten.
You Can’t Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd
One could tell by the title alone that it would be another silly and fun song. This, according to Miller, was his favorite among all his compositions. Well, browsing through its lyrics and regardless of anyone’s interpretation, it surely will bring out your quirky side when you sing along with it.
King of the Road
My belief that a commoner’s life is one of the greatest luxuries of life was put to shame with this one. Miller glorified the lifestyle of a vagabond whose home is the road. Less meant more freedom.
BITS ABOUT MILLER:
Ten years prior to the boom of his career in the 1960’s and forward, he was a poor lad who had lived in Texas and Oklahoma working on cotton farms. To avoid going to jail, he served in the army for some time before finally landing his goldmine of talents in Nashville. Like Bill Anderson, his songwriting skill was impressive. He first wrote songs for other artists, then move on to recording and to becoming a performer on broadways and on TV.
“Roger was the most talented, and least disciplined, person that you could imagine.”
– Bill Anderson –
If you think I’ve forgotten, here’s Dang Me performed by Roger Miller for your treat.
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Remember When Garth Brooks And Billy Joel Surprised Fans With “Shameless” Duet
- Get to Know Jeff Dunham’s Children and His Life as a Father
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?