Country music can come from anywhere. Just ask Richard Mulligan. Hailing from Ireland, this former international runner had just proved that it isn’t late to cash in on that dream and anyone can be a country star.
It took a while for Mulligan to find his way into the country music scene. His talent for running had always taken the forefront, landing him an athletic scholarship to Providence College. It was there where he had won many races.
Mulligan came from humble beginnings, and his life wasn’t all that easy. He was born in a baby home, and was only later in life did he reunite with his birth mother. These experiences were the core inspiration to the songs of his album. It includes the title track of his album which talks candidly about his father.
“I Never Met You”
The backing track of the song is quintessential traditional country music complete with amazing harmonica runs and an almost jolly upbeat piano tune. However, that is in stark contrast with the lyrics that Mulligan sings. He laments about a ‘father that he has never met.’
His title track “I Never Met You” sings about how the singer never met his father, and how that affected him as a whole. The song’s honesty is its natural charm, coupled with Mulligan’s smooth vocals.
You can listen to his title track here!
The rest of Mulligan’s album is similar to this song. It’s straight up traditional country and listening to it takes you back a generation or a few, where this style was prominent in the country music genre. His lyrics tell a story that everyone can relate to. It almost reminds me of a more laid back Willie Nelson or a Merle Haggard, if you will.
Currently, he has his album out entitled ‘I Never Met You,’ which is on sale on iTunes, Spotify, and Amazon.
Country, I Never Met You, Richard Mulligan, Traditional Countr
- High Schooler In Overalls and Straw Hat Stuns The Crowd With His Banjo-Playing Skills
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- Meet Randy Travis’ Wife Who Stood By In Sickness and In Health
- 10 Alison Krauss Songs That Proves She’s One of Country Music’s Most Beloved Voices
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- The Joe Diffie Songs That Turned Him Into An Icon To Many Country Fans