Losing three times in the state courts, country artist Randy Travis ask a federal court to block the release of a police video showing his arrest for driving while intoxicated.
The Lawsuit was filed last Sunday in Austin federal court. Travis asked U.S. District Judge San Sparks to block the release of the said video. He argued that making the video public under the state’s open records laws would violate federal disability and medical privacy laws.
The case revolves around dashboard camera footage taken when Department of Public Safety troopers — called to a one-car wreck outside of Tioga, a town about 60 miles north of Dallas where Travis lived — found the singer naked and lying in the road. He later pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated after tests found he had a blood-alcohol level of 0.21, more than double the legal limit to drive.
Copies of the arrest video were requested under the Texas Public Information Act. Travis objected, but Attorney General Greg Abbott’s office said the state law required the video to be made public, even though, the images of Travis’s naked body had to be redacted from the waist down.
A Travis County district court agreed with Abbott, as did the 3rd Court of Appeals, which last year said the taped encounter with law officers didn’t fall within the state law’s medical exemptions and that privacy protections don’t normally apply to actions taken in a public place.
The Texas Supreme Court upheld that ruling when it rejected Travis’ appeal, without comment, in June.
With all the state courts agreed to make the video public, Travis turned to the federal courts, arguing that on the night of his arrest he had been exhausted after recently ending a six-month tour, had several glasses of wine and may have inadvertently taken prescription medication.
The troopers who responded to the crash found Travis to be disoriented, volatile and erratic; unaware of his nudity, he tried to bless officers, then prayed for their deaths. After his release on bond, the lawsuit said, Travis was treated for a concussion at a hospital.
Almost a year later, a stroke left Travis with impaired speech and difficulty walking, the lawsuit said.
Travis’ lawyer, Marty Cirkiel of Round Rock, argued that releasing the video would amount to the public disclosure of Travis’ private medical and mental health conditions.
While most of the details of Travis’ arrest are well known, “what is not known, and should remain private, are how his compromised medical condition and mental state affected his physical actions, mannerisms, and words,” the lawsuit said.
“The (ordered) release of such highly embarrassing information to the media was inappropriate in light of the fact he can no longer speak cogently and is not even in the position to discuss, let alone defend his previous actions,” the lawsuit said.
We love Randy Travis and we hope that his appeal to the federal court will be approved. Why don’t they just agree to make the video private? He is still in a recovery stage after the stroke. If they made video public, then it’s going to be hard for him again and we don’t want him to be humiliated by the mistakes that he did before. Do you agree? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?