“Is It Raining at Your House” is a track that Vern Gosdin co-wrote with Dean Dillon and Hank Cochran. When the American country music artist released the song in December 1990, it was the second single from the album Chiseled in Stone. The song rocketed to number 10 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart. This was Gosdin’s last hit that he charted on the country charts.
After Complete Records declared bankruptcy, Vern Gosdin had a contract with Columbia in 1987. Under the label, he recorded the Chiseled in Stone album. He had success right off the bat with “Do You Believe Me Now”. In addition, he topped once again with a tribute entitled “Set ‘Em Up Joe” to Ernest Tubb. Two years after, Gosdin’s “Chiseled in Stone”, which he penned with Barnes, won the Country Music Association’s Song of the Year award.
The Birth of “Is It Raining at Your House”
One stormy day in Nashville, Tennessee, Vern called over Hank Cochran. He asked him whether it was raining at Hank’s house like in his. As a response, Cochran said yes and he added that it sounded like a song to him.
That was how the genius of the song “Is It Raining at Your House” came about.
In an album They Call Me Country released in 2002, Jamey Johnson covered the song. After a year, Brad Paisley covered the song on his album Mud on the Tires. The third cover was Lorrie Morgan’s on her 2016 album Letting Go…Slow. Morgan’s cover features sound effects of rain and thunder fading into the song’s beginning and out of the track’s ending.
Gosdin’s, Cochran’s, Dillon’s, and Cannon’s work on “Set ‘Em Up Joe” and “Is It Raining at Your House” was a great success. Cochran was a much-known songwriter for the major hits of Patsy Cline, Ray Price, Eddy Arnold and others. Dillon, however, recorded six studio albums on various labels and charted several singles on the Billboard country charts. Since 1993, Dillon has continued to write hit songs for other artists. In 2002, he was an inductee into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.
is it raining at your house, vern gosdin
- Willie Nelson Found Himself In An Emotional Performance Few Weeks After His Best Friend Died
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani’s ‘Nobody But You’ Hits No. 1 and The Couple is As Thrilled As Ever
- Opposites Do Attract: Dolly Parton and Husband Carl Dean Love Story
- The Untimely Deaths of Loretta Lynn’s Kids
- Loretta Lynn Remembers Eldest Daughter In A Heart-Breaking Tribute
- Conway Twitty’s No. 1 Hit is Don Gibson’s Original Recording
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage