What is your experience with God? Have you ever felt a divine presence? – That God is guiding you every day? Or have you ever asked anything from God and it was given? Well, all of us have different experiences in term of our encounter with the Supreme Being. Thus, sometimes we ask for forgiveness, and enlightenment in everything we do. Now, let me wake up those sleeping faith with the legend Nina Simone.
The Story behind the Priestess
Every artist is different and so as their style in relaying the message of a song to their audience. She is a respected multi-talented singer, songwriter, and pianist. Even more, her stage presence and bearing earned her the title as the “Highest Priestess of Soul.” Anyhow, I’m taking about Nina Simone who rose to fame in the ’50s.
Nina Simone was a child of a preacher and she came from a poor family. Despite this, Simone showed an interest in music at an early age. Also, she started to play the piano when she was three years old. Pursuing her dream was not easy, but Simone made a way get in Juilliard School of Music in New York. After this, she wanted to advance her knowledge, so she applied for a scholarship at Curtis Institute of Music, but she got denied despite her outstanding audition. Thus, she concluded that her rejection was due to racial discrimination.
The Song that may Lead us Closer to God
“Sinner man” or “Sinnerman” was first recorded in the 1950s and it was popularized by Nina Simone in 1965 with an extended version. In addition, Simone added more flavor and soul to the masterpiece that’s why this version is the most popular.
On a critics perspective, the hit is about a sinner who is hiding from divine justice on Judgement day. Anyhow, if we will view it on a Christian perspective, it’s a plea of a man who is asking forgiveness and for him to be changed by God. Grace is always given to those who repent and asks for mercy.
Juilliard School of Music, Nina Simone, Sinner man
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- 15 Top Kenny Chesney Songs Over 25 Years of Country Music
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross