“Keep Distance” is a very useful expression we have to remember when driving. Being first time drivers, people always tell us that safety comes first especially if there is a semi-truck or 18-wheeler. You know why? That is because they will literally hit you.
It is not that they want to but think about it. Big trucks have problems as such: it has a much larger blind spot, it takes longer to stop, and the biggest problem- other drivers who make incorrect decisions when driving.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration 2013 reports that more than 4,000 fatal accidents happen between large trucks or busses. Car drivers would usually say that truck drivers are the bullies of the road, but actually, 72% of accidents between trucks and passenger vehicles are caused by car drivers.
Other variables include the improper following, failure to make a safe lane change, and driving too fast. These often cause fatal crashes between semi-trucks and passenger vehicles.
With that said, here is a video that warns us about how dangerous it to change lanes improperly.
First, you see the truck driver keeping a modest amount of space between him and the blue truck in front of him. Then the black Altima switches into the semi-trucks lane. Still, he kept a good distance but look what happens next.
Now, this Volkswagon wants to switch into his lane. Come on! You can’t do that. That space in front of him is so he can stop, not for you to merge into. But what does the VW do? Yeah, the driver kept trying to merge. Did the driver not know that the truck driver needed that distance?
You can hear the truck driver in the video getting upset at what the Volks Wagon did.
In the end, this resulted in a collision and the truck driver couldn’t do anything anymore. By the time he saw what the Volkswagon wanted to do, he was already trapped.
Keep in mind that just because you signal for a lane change, that does it not give the right to change lanes. We change lanes when the time is right and safe to do so.
The driver of the Volks Wagon is the only one who could have avoided this from happening. Take note that no one should even attempt to make such a dangerous lane change.
Fortunately, no one was injured! The silver lining of this accident is that we could learn from this driver’s mistake. Never ever try to change lanes in such a dangerous situation. Never assume that the space in front of semi-truck is for us to change lanes into, that space is the “no zone.”
Remember these basic facts:
1. Truck drivers’ blind spots are a lot larger than ours.
2. Truck drivers cannot make abrupt stops, their stops take a lot more distance and time.
3. Pass trucks quickly, if you cannot then wait patiently until the time is right.
4. Avoid cutting off trucks at all costs.
5. Be a responsible driver!
We hope you found this clip educational since the purpose of this article is to keep us, our families and friends safe. Watch the video below:
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash