Truth be told, band frontman Nathaniel Rateliff had a lot going on when he collaborated with the members of what would become “The Night Sweats.” He had other solo projects and had another band going on. On top of that, he was also recording and touring. But, that did not stop Rateliff and The Night Sweats to make a very memorable song he entitled “S.O.B.”
The band had always played “S.O.B.” in their gigs, often as a closer and they always had positive responses when they played it. But Rateliff admitted in an interview that the song was mainly a “joke.” And that he “never intended to record the song.” He believed that its contents could be considered raunchy to some. (But that didn’t stop Jimmy Fallon from inviting them and playing this hit on his show!)
Frontman Rateliff said that the song is about someone drinking their life away after a messy breakup. We’ve all experienced the messy breakups part. But here, the singer was wasting away with alcohol. He also drew from his own experience with bouts of delirium during alcohol withdrawal. Well, that explains the central theme of the song!
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
The collaboration was birthed in 2013. The Night Sweats and their frontman decided to have a more upbeat, soulful sound. They came up with their self-titled album and released it on the 24th of June, 2015 with “S.O.B.” as their lead single. This was Rateliff’s “last-ditch attempt” at making it big in the music industry before quitting. But only to have a runaway hit on his hands.
The music video of “S.O.B.” also alludes to the message of the song and adds to the overall jovial, despite-all-odds, kind of vibe of it all. The song has also been used several times in mainstream media, solidifying it as a smash hit.
Check out the music video right here!
Country, Country Contemporary, Nathaniel Rateliff, S.O.B
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Top Paid Country Musicians of 2020: Billboard’s U.S. Money Makers
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash