Trace Adkins moves away from his patriotic and romantic songs for the meantime. The country star shares his Christian side in his song “Muddy Water.” Adkin’s strong voice sings about the power of redemption. It’s a story about a man who realized he is not where he ought to be, and decides to find his way back to the place where he is sheltered.
Released in 2008 as the first single from his eighth studio album, X, the song was written by Monty Criswell and Rick Huckaby. Criswell is also a co-author of George Straight’s “I Saw God Today.”
Adkins told in an interview that “Muddy Water” is the first gospel song he has recorded in 10 years. The song reminds him of when he was 17 singing in a gospel quartet. Those were some of the most precious memories he has. He cherished the simple life in a small town, where his life was centered on church and school.
Trace Adkins also added that “Muddy Water” is some kind of a “prodigal son” kind of thing. A person may fall from temptations but still experiences redemption when he decides to go back to the Father.
The Music Video
The music video, directed by Trey Fanjoy, features Adkin’s “Celebrity Apprentice” co-star and friend, Stephen Baldwin. Baldwin converted into Evangelical Christianity shortly after the 9/11 tragedy. Adkins personally chose Baldwin. He believes that the song mirrors the actor’s life of going astray and then coming back. Adkins as well shared that Baldwin has been faithful to his ministry and Christian life.
Incidentally, the Bethlehem United Methodist Church, the church where the video was filmed, was destroyed by a fire in July 2009. The church was located in Clarksville, Tennessee.
In 2008, “Muddy Water” charted at number 22 on the US Hot Country Songs, and number 9 in US Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100.
Muddy Water, Trace Adkins
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Let’s Go Down the River to Pray with Alison Krauss
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Look! Alan Jackson’s Three Daughters are Now All Grown Up
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage