“Morning Has Broken” is a song written by the English poet and children’s author Eleanor Farjeon in 1931. Her words were added with the melody of “Bunessan.” Farjeon’s words are also commonly used as a poem for children, where it speaks of the first day of spring.
All About the Song
The Christian hymn talks about the beauty of life that God has for us each day. Despite having many tragic events or moments in life that we cannot control, we still have another day. “Morning Has Broken” shows us hope, and it reminds us of God’s kindness to us. Therefore, we shall thank Him and glorify Him for all of His goodness.
Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing
Praise for the morning
Cat Stevens’ Rendition
The song was made popular by the English singer Cat Stevens in 1972. He found the song by accident when he was looking through a hymn book. At that time, Stevens was trying to add some songs for his album, Teaser and the Firecat. When he released the song as a single, it rose to the top of the US Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. Furthermore, it has also secured a spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Stevens not only achieved recognition in the UK and the US, but his song was also known in other countries.
Stevens’ cover of “Morning Has Broken” was a little bit similar to the original tune, but he added some changes to the song. Rick Wakeman was responsible for the piano arrangement of the song. He said that he did not receive payment and credit for it, at first.
Other artists who decided to cover the song were Judy Collins, Aaron Neville, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, and many more.
Check out this beautiful and inspiring hymn.
Cat Stevens, Morning Has Broken, Teaser and the Firecat
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Meet Faith Hill’s Daughters: All Grown Up and Glowed Up
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend