The debate for the removal of the Confederate Statues continues to rage and petitioners want a statue of Missy Elliot as a replacement in one town in Virginia.
More than 21,000 people petitioned for the statue of the hip hop star, Missy Elliot in Portsmouth, Virginia. She was born in the city in 1971. Only a few thousand short because 25,000 was the required votes for the petition to be put before the council and the city’s mayor.
“Together we can put white supremacy down, flip it and reverse it. Let us come together in getting City Council to erect this statue in honor of Missy Elliott and all those in the great City of Portsmouth who work it each and every day,” the petition’s organizer wrote on the website.
After the violence that began at a white rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last August 12, the debate over the presence of the Confederate monuments in cities across the United States has intensified. Protesters had gathered in the city to protest the planned removal of a statue of General Robert E. Lee, who commanded the South’s forces during the Civil War.
Several cities and institutions have removed their statues after the violence in Charlottesville, with the University of Texas at Austin removing four statues of Confederacy figures overnight.
What happened in Charlottesville “make it clear, now more than ever, that Confederate monuments have become symbols of modern white supremacy and neo-Nazism,” said university President Greg Fenves, as quoted by the Dallas News.
Missy Elliott’s real name is Melissa Arnette “Missy” Elliott. She is a 30-time Grammy winner and the bestselling female rap album artist.
Do you think it is reasonable to replace the Confederate monument with Missy Elliot’s statue? Let us know you thought by leaving a comment below.
Confederate Monuments, Viginia
- Overcoming Loss with “Go Rest High on that Mountain” by Vince Gill
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Here Are Some of The Incredible Things You Can Do At Loretta Lynn’s Ranch
- Ryan Upchurch’s “Can I Get A Outlaw” Is In The Hot Seat Right Now. Here’s Why!
- The Incredible Story of How Yellowstone’s Ryan Bingham Got His Role
- ‘Grease’ is Under Fire, Critics Want It Taken Down From Screens. Here’s Why!
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?