On September 12, 2003, in Nashville, TN, sad news enveloped the whole world when The Man in Black was announced dead at Baptist Hospital in Nashville. It was said that Johnny Cash died of complications from diabetes. Some people suggested that Johnny Cash’s health deterioration was due to the fact that the love of her life, June died 3 months before his death. Indeed, it was a sad day not only for country music but to the whole world that was influenced by the ‘Ring of Fire’ singer. Certainly, some artists did not just mourn and move on from Johnny Cash’s death. It was remembered and even paid tribute to by other giant artists and legends themselves. Yes, you got that right. Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson who are also frequent collaborators gave the highest tribute to one and only Man in Black.
Missing Ol’ Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Merle Haggard
Marking their sixth album collaboration as country kin, Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard released Django and Jimmie in June 2015, an amazing collaboration which has standout songs like ‘It’s All Going to Pot.’ As expected, it contained the song that both have written in memory of Johnny Cash and the lyrics definitely contained some of Cash’s famous songs.
Its producer, Buddy Cannon spoke in one of the interviews how the song, Missing Ol’ Johnny Cash came about in the album:
“[Haggard] just had the lyric, and he created the arrangement on the spot. Johnny Cash and Merle, their history goes back. I think the first time Merle saw Johnny Cash, he was an inmate in one of the prison shows that Cash played. They were friends all the way up to the end.”
Indeed, Johnny Cash’s crossed the lives of the two singer and songwriters in one way or another and a person like Johnny Cash is a memory someone could not forget easily.
Watch the video below and reminisce with Willie and Merle:
Johnny Cash, merle haggard, Willie Nelson
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More