Country star Miley Cyrus and Jimmy Fallon delivered a glitzy tribute to Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers’ classic 1983 duet “island In the Stream” on The Tonight Show last Wednesday, October 4.
Both Miley and Jimmy didn’t economize on the details, with Jimmy appearing on stage in a tuxedo, a gray wig and matching beard and Miley on the other hand, portrayed Dolly Parton with an appropriately lofty wig. While Jimmy did goofy gruffness to his impression of Rogers, Cyrus unleashed a vocal performance that was undeniably befitting her godmother.
Also on the show, Miley performed her rendition of Nancy Sinatra’s 1966 hit, “These Boots Are Made for Walkin’.” She dedicated the performance to the night’s main guest, Hillary Clinton. Miley and her backing band turned Sinatra’s simmering kiss off into a rollicking rocker with classic country flourishes and arena rock momentum.
Miley Cyrus also joined the female members of The Tonight Show writing staff for a sweet round of “Thank you notes,” penned especially for Clinton. While Clinton sat on the guest chair, The Tonight Show writers took turns at the desk and offered paeans of appreciation, such as Jasmine Pierce’s: “Thank you, Hillary Clinton, for handling this difficult transition with more grace than I ever could have imagined. That being said, call me day or night and I will be there with a gallon of ice cream and two spoons to tell you, ‘Girl you are so much better than him!'”
Cyrus took the desk at the end of the segment to share her emotional “Thank You” to Clinton. The pop star praised the politician for “being a beacon of strength, hope, and determination for me and millions of other young women.” At the end, Cyrus added, “I could go on and on, but I’d like to get right to the point: Can I get a hug?”[like_button]
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?