Merle Haggard is one of the most talented musicians in country music that ever lived. Ol’ Merle was very much a country music historian. In addition to that, he had the greatest respect for all those who came before him. To name some are Left Frizzell and Hank Williams. Apart from being one great singer, songwriter, and guitar player in the world of country music, he is also one good impersonator.
Do you not believe me? Have a look at this video taken from a part of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. From the late 1960’s to the early ’70s, they aired the show featuring Haggard on CBS.
In the short video, you can see Haggard and Campbell talking onstage. As they talk, Haggard performs his parody of some of the most well-known musicians in the country.
Not only Campbell but also the audience is hilariously entertained as he did a spot-on version of each performer. Haggard perfectly imitates their sounds, performance styles, even their facial expressions. Merle is, no doubt, an incredibly good artist.
Around the half-way mark of this clip is where the highlight of the show happens. This is when Haggard gets a few unexpected visitors. During this part, these guests want to join in the fun. It is such an awesome moment that shows the incredible talent of country music at the time. This certainly will bring a smile to the faces of country fans of all ages.
When Merle mimicked, he used to incorporate several impressions into his shows. He found inspiration in several artists: Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins and Hank Snow. In one of his shows, he honestly admitted that he cannot do a show without the audience asking him to imitate one of them. Among the many artists he copied, his impressions of Marty Robbins and Hank Snow are the best.
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Sandy Mahl And The Top 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Her
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend