“Tonight Carmen” is a lovely song recorded by Marty Robbins in 1967. Marty Robbins wrote the song for his 19th studio album Tonight Carmen. The song reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot Country Song chart. In addition, “Tonight Carmen” remained for a total of 16 weeks on the chart. It was also able to enter the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 114. Robbins’ album Tonight Carmen also secured a spot on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart at No. 4. His album produced another single on the chart, “(The Girl With) Gardenias in Her Hair.”
This became Marty’s 12th No. 1 song on the chart. Marty has a total of 17 No. 1 songs, and his biggest hit was his song “El Paso.”
The Story of the Song
The song tells a story of a man who’s excited for his lover to finally come home. The name of the narrator’s lover is Carmen. If you listen carefully, you’ll recognize that the narrator’s lover has been away for a long time because he is excited to see her. He says that he cannot contain his excitement to see Carmen.
“Tonight as I stand here I notice my hand here
Is trembling as never before
My feelings I can’t hide, resistance has all died.”
He constantly thinks of her, every night she is not with him.
“In anguish and torment, I’ve cursed as the night went
From darkness till dawn’s golden light
I thought of just taking these two hands and breaking.”
The narrator gets so excited that he even decorated his place with flowers just for Carmen. At the end of the song, the narrator’s words are so beautiful when he said that,
“Have more control over my life
How can I fight it, how can I deny it,
There’s no way to hide it
The love that I have for my wife.”
Listen to Marty Robbins’ delightful song “Tonight Carmen.”
Marty Robbins, tonight carmen
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life