Everybody knows that Ronnie Milsap is one of those country artists that sounds like pop during his career prime. That may be the reason why “Only Love In My Life” became a No. 1 hit in the country music charts and it also managed to land in the 63rd spot in the pop chart.
The Inspiration Behind the Song
Back on the 10th of October of ’77, Ronnie Milsap completed a triple-play at the CMA awards. He collected the trophy for “Entertainer of the Year,” “Male Vocalist of the Year,” and “Album of the Year” for his live project. During the time he was receiving the award for the “Entertainer of the Year,” he stepped on stage with his wife and told how much she helped and inspired him to achieve his dreams.
The songwriter responsible for “Only Love In My Life”, R.C. Bannon was actually watching Ronnie Milsap’s speech in his room in Nashville. His friend and also a songwriter, John Bettis, visited Bannon that exact night. Inspired by the heartfelt speech, the two songwriters started to compose the song “Only One life In My Life” especially for Ronnie Milsap’s wife, Joyce.
Sometimes, tailor-made songs fail to impress the artists they were written for. However, in Ronnie Milsap’s case, it was the opposite. Ronnie Milsap was drawn to the song and after a month, he brought the song into the recording studio. Unfortunately, the song didn’t make any magic. But, Ronnie didn’t give up and tried again in January the following year. This time, it worked and on June 3, 1978, the “Only Love In My Life” was released. After the song was released, it immediately landed on the 32nd spot on Billboard’s Hot Country Singles Chart. It was higher than any singles prior to the song’s release. “Only One Love In My Life” became Ronnie Milsap’s 10th of his 35 No. 1 hits on July 15th of the same year.
Want more of the Classic Country Music? Don’t be shy and visit our website. God Bless Your Heart!
Only One Love In My Life, ronnie milsap
- Willie Nelson Found Himself In An Emotional Performance Few Weeks After His Best Friend Died
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani’s ‘Nobody But You’ Hits No. 1 and The Couple is As Thrilled As Ever
- Opposites Do Attract: Dolly Parton and Husband Carl Dean Love Story
- Conway Twitty’s No. 1 Hit is Don Gibson’s Original Recording
- Loretta Lynn Remembers Eldest Daughter In A Heart-Breaking Tribute
- The Untimely Deaths of Loretta Lynn’s Kids
- Unleash Your Inner Fierce With These Beth Dutton Quotes