“Louisiana Saturday Night” is a song written by Bob McDill and recorded by Mel McDaniel. Released in March 1981, it was the third single from the American country music artist’s 1980 album, I’m Countryfied.
In 1981, Mel McDaniel’s career finally took its leap with “Louisiana Saturday Night”. Additionally, in early 1985, he made his only No. 1 hit with “Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On”. Other Top 10 hits include: “Right in the Palm of Your Hand”, “Take Me to the Country”, “Big Ole Brew”, “I Call It Love”, and “Real Good Feel Good Song”.
“Louisiana Saturday Night” was an original by Don Williams. Often, it is wrongly credited to popular country music bands Alabama and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Apart from that, Tom T Hall wrote an earlier, unrelated song by the same name. Also in 1967, Hall’s “Louisiana Saturday Night” was recorded by Mamou, Louisiana’s Jimmy C. Newman.
Somewhere in 1987, this simple country song received a ‘must dance’ title. Perhaps this was because of Dolly Parton & Doug Kershaw’s appearance on the “Louisiana Saturday Night on Dolly Show”. Recently, this song has become popular in the USA and in many other countries as a “country line dance”.
To add to its fame, this track is on “The Outdoorsman Show” as its theme song for WWL 870 AM and 105.3 FM in New Orleans. The show is hosted by Don Dubuc, a radio personality.
On the reality show “Duck Dynasty”, John Luck slurred the lyrics of the song as he was recovering from anesthesia after a dental procedure.
American country musician McDaniel was a member of the Grand Ole Opry since January 11, 1986. As a member, he made frequent appearances on the show.
In the year 2006, Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame inducted Mel McDaniel into it. In the same year, his classmate Leon Russell was also inducted.
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Crystal Gayle Sings About Love And Heartbreak in “Til I Gain Control Again”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend