“She Used to Love Me A Lot” was first recorded by the country star David Allan Coe in 1984 for his album Darlin’, Darlin’. His song was written by Dennis Morgan, Charles Quillen, and Kye Fleming. In 1985, Coe’s song peaked at No. 11 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, and it spent a total of 19 weeks in it.
The Unreleased Recordings
Johnny Cash decided to make a version of Coe’s song in the 80’s. However, his song wasn’t immediately released or wasn’t released at all. Until Johnny Cash’s son, John Carter Cash discovered the recordings in his parents’ house. He collected the unreleased songs and turned it into a compilation album in 2014. Out Among the Stars was a collection of 13 unreleased songs of Cash that included duets with his wife June Carter Cash and another country singer Waylon Jennings.
The Release of the Album
It took almost 29 years before his album was released in 2014. “She Used to Love Me A Lot” is a country ballad about a man who remembers his ex-lover and how she used to love him. Seeing her brought back the memories they shared together. He still loves her and wants them to get back together, but she says that he cannot provide her with something she needs. She used to love him she said, but now she doesn’t. He watches her walk away from him, and all he could feel is shock and pain of not being able to be with her anymore.
One thing that hurts is when the person you love tells you that they can’t give what you need anymore. No matter how much you love them, it seems that it is not enough for them. You can’t do anything but watch them walk away. Like the man in the song whose ex-lover used to love him but just because he can’t give what she needs, she left him.
This is one of Cash’s heartfelt ballad. Luckily, his son discovered his recordings or else we wouldn’t have the chance to listen to it.
Johnny Cash, She Used to Love Me A Lot
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- Clint Eastwood: The Truth About His 8 Children
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- “Jessica” By Allman Brothers: The Most Joyous Song That Doesn’t Need A Word
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed
- Here Are The Top 40 Country Songs for August 2021 That You Need To Check Out