Loretta Lynn shows both her vulnerable side and pays homage to the American working class with her song “Coal Miner’s Daughter.”
Loretta Lynn and the “Coal Miner’s Daughter”
The trailblazer and country legend based the song from her upbringing as the second of seven children, apparently “in a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler,” a coal mining community in Johnson County Kentucky.
Released in the 1970s, “Coal Miner’s Daughter” became Lynn’s signature song, and one of the country’s most widely known songs. It also provided the basis for both her autobiography and a movie on her life.
The song tells the story of Lynn’s rough childhood and how she and her seven siblings lived off of a coal miner’s salary. However, she did make sure that it was understood that her father made them feel loved.
Additionally, it not only reflects the hard-working nature of the American worker. We provide for our family the best we can with any means necessary. Lynn discusses that through her experiences with her mother reading the Bible with her or how hardworking her father is.
“Coal Miner’s Daughter” placed high in the charts. Its slow ascend in the Billboard Hot Country singles was prominent, and it eventually reached number 1. This was also Lynn’s first single to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 83.
There was also a biographical film that was created in honor of the song and Lynn’s life.
The movie shows her life living in a poor family, and getting married at 13. It also portrayed her meteoric rise as one of the most successful country musicians. It starred Sissy Spacek as Lynn and Tommy Lee Jones as Lynn’s husband.
The film won several accolades, including an Academy Award for Best Actress for Spacek for her portrayal as Lynn.
Watch the amazing performance here!
coal miner's daughter, Labor Day, Loretta Lynn
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Crystal Gayle Sings About Love And Heartbreak in “Til I Gain Control Again”
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend