Since his ascent to the white house, the late President Abraham Lincoln has unashamedly practiced leadership under the guidance of the Almighty God. As the nation’s Commander-in-chief, he consistently displayed a dependence on a higher Power. This was evident through his proclamations for a National Day of Prayer and Fasting. It’s been 47 years since the last proclamation (1815-1862) but in God’s grace, he raised our nation’s patriarch.
According to history records, Lincoln passed the said resolution thrice. First was during the Civil War in September 1861 to appeal for God’s mercy and deliverance. The second was in March 1863 as grief to the nation’s intoxication to pride and self-indulgence after winning the war. The third was in August 1864 as a plea for God’s intervention in uniting all departments and ruling heads in the US government.
To date, this nationwide call for prayer gets annually observed every 1st Thursday of May. Other Presidential administrations followed suit including that of Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush (1981-1993 and George W. Bush (2001-2009).
To this great extent, we want to commemorate his resolve in holding together a nation on the brink of being torn apart through a song he loved much.
In Dixie Land, We Take Our Stand feat. South Carolina String Band
Lincoln and Dixie’s Land
Lincoln first heard Dixie’s Land in 1860 through the Rumsey and Newcomb Minstrels show held in Chicago. Instantly, he got to sell to the tune. With claps and shouts, he requested for a replay.
On April 8, 1865, the military band played Dixie’s Land upon the President’s request. The next day, Confederate commander Robert E. Lee surrendered to the Union.
“That tune is now the Federal property and it is good to show the rebels that, with us in power, they will be free to hear it again.”
– Abraham Lincoln, Ballad of America, Music Index
Abraham Lincoln, Country History, Dixie, Dixie's Land
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?