“I bless the day I found you
I want to stay around you
And so I beg you, let it be me”
Bet most of us are familiar with this timeless, love ballad. Many hearts were swooned by those tender words of longing for a love interest’s affection. (And I dare say, anyone who dislikes Let It Be Me has poor taste.)
Popularized by the Everly Brothers in the 60s, its magic lived on in the subsequent years. Soon, a rendering of a male and a female became the standard. From a hopeless romantic monologue, the said ballad was turned into a sweet lovers’ dialogue. Instead of a poor soul pining for romance, we now imagine two hearts pledging love and devotion.
That said, here we have two of the best-loved covers.
Glen Campbell with Bobbie Gentry (1969)
Great blending of voices is it not? Additionally, their chemistry worked well. Not surprisingly, their duet climbed the song charts. It ranked 36th on the US Billboard Hot 100 and topped the RPM Country Tracks for Canada.
Joey and Rory (2014)
Here is a heartfelt cover from a godly couple and wonderful country singers we have come to love. Effortlessly, this duo’s delivery will make us believe in the sustaining power of real love. With respect to Joey Feek’s memory, can her fans safely say she has not truly left? Her spirit continues to linger with each song she sang and recorded.
ABOUT THE SONG
Let It Be Me is a remake of the French ballad called “Je T’Appartiens.” Gilbert Becaud recorded it 1955.
Two years later, actress Jill Corey released an English version and is ranked 57th on the pop charts. It was also released in other languages like Danish, Dutch, German, Italian, and Spanish.
Notable renditions in English worth checking include Willie Nelson (1982), Anne Murray and Vince Gill (2007), and The Charlie Daniels Band with Brenda Lee (2007).
bobby gentry, glen campbell, joey and rory, let it be me
- High Schooler In Overalls and Straw Hat Stuns The Crowd With His Banjo-Playing Skills
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- Meet Randy Travis’ Wife Who Stood By In Sickness and In Health
- Chris Stapleton Sings “Love’s Gonna Make It Alright,” A Song He Wrote For George Strait
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- Scotty McCreery Remembers Late Grandfather at Y100’s 8 Man Jam With “Five More Minutes”