The Queen of Country Music
Kitty Wells is notably one of the most successful women to date in country music. Her efforts and success have earned her the nickname “The Queen of Country Music.” She was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1976. And in 1991, she became the third country artist and the eighth woman to receive the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. She had multiple hit songs, including “Amigo’s Guitar.”
But all that glitz wasn’t achieved overnight. Although Kitty was already singing as a teenager, she did not achieve stardom until she was in her 30’s. But when she got there, she hit it with a bang. In 1952, her hit song “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels” took the radio stations by storm. And after that, she produced hit after hit, until her retirement from the stage in the early 2000’s.
The lyrics paint a stark picture of a woman who is about to say goodbye to a lover. She talks about the final hours that she will be spending with him, for she counts that she would leave him tomorrow.
Wells channeled the feeling of dejected resignation about the fate of her love affair, as she compares her woes to the color blue of the “Amigo”’s guitar. Her sweet timber would narrate the story with ease, as well as hurt and you can clearly feel the impending loneliness she channels. Truly, “Amigo’s Guitar” is one for the books.
Come, listen to the nostalgic tune here!
Are you a fan of Kitty Wells? Tell us in the comments down below! Want to see more country classics? You can visit us at Country Thang Daily!
Amigo's Guitar, Country, Country Classic, It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels, kitty wells
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Mongolian Singer Shocks Faith Hill with George Strait Song
- Meet Faith Hill’s Daughters: All Grown Up and Glowed Up
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend