Charley Pride is best known for his musical work as a country and gospel music singer, and in some ways, he’s comparable to Elvis Presley. In fact, during his career, Pride became the highest selling artist signed to RCA Records since Presley himself. Pride signed to RCA in 1966.
A native of Mississippi, Charley Pride, stormed onto the country music in the late 1960’s. He had an incredible streak of singles between 1969 and 1971, and eight of it simultaneously reached the No. 1 spot on country charts. Pride is one of the few African Americans to have had considerable success in the country music industry and one of only three (along with DeFord Bailey and Darius Rucker) to have been inducted as a member of the Grand Ole Opry. He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2000.
Released in 1971, Charley Pride’s “Kiss An Angel Goodbye” gained an instant success. Not only did the song hit the top of the country charts, it made the top 10 songs on adult contemporary chart as well.
Describing a man and a woman madly in love, the song is upbeat and sweet.
When asked why he is so happy, the man replies that he is “kissed by an angel every morning.” Watch the video and sing along with its lyrics.
“Kiss An Angel Good Morning” Lyrics
Whenever I chance to meet some old friends on the street
They wonder how does a man get to be this way
I’ve always got a smilin’ face any time and any place
And everytime they ask me why I just smile and say
You’ve got to kiss an angel good mornin’
And let her know you think about her when you’re gone
Kiss an angel good mornin’ and love her like a devil when you get back home
Well people may try to guess the secret of happiness
But some of them never learn it’s a simple thing
The secret I’m speaking of is a woman and a man in love
And the answer is in the song that I always sing
Angel, Charley Pride, country music
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Top Paid Country Musicians of 2020: Billboard’s U.S. Money Makers
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce