Keith Whitley had never scored a number one song on the chart when he began his career. But, in 1988, he finally earned his first song at number one. “When You Say Nothing at All” was a song penned by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz in 1988. The songwriters shared that they thought the song was only average. It wasn’t a great song they thought, but they still pitched the song to Whitley.
Keith Whitley’s Chart Performance
When Whitley heard the song, he was determined to make it enter the chart. Surprisingly, it did not only enter the country chart, but it gave Whitley his first number one song. Furthermore, it crossed over to the pop chart also at number one.
“When You Say Nothing at All” became a song that is often covered by artists from different genres. Two most notable versions were from Ronan Keating and Alison Krauss.
Alison Krauss’ “When You Say Nothing at All” Version
Let’s take a look at Krauss’ first and only song on the top ten of the country chart as a solo artist. In 1994, Krauss and her band Union Station were invited to cover a Whitley song. She and her band were tasked to record Whitley’s first hit song “When You Say Nothing at All.” It was recorded for the tribute album Keith Whitley Tribute.
Krauss was surprised that the song was charting. She wasn’t expecting it to enter the Billboard chart. Moreover, she wasn’t expecting it to chart at the top ten of the country chart.
Her version earned her a CMA award for “Single of the Year” in 1995.
Watch this beautiful rendition of Alison Krauss and her band, Union Station.
Mike Cromwell electronically combined Krauss’ version with Whitley’s. The result was a superb collaboration. Sadly, the song was never released on radios.
Alison Krauss, keith whitley, When You Say Nothing At All
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Sandy Mahl And The Top 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Her
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend