The classic song “I Saw the Light” has been performed a couple of times by various musicians. Some notable artists who covered the song were Roy Acuff, Merle Haggard, Bill Monroe, a duet of Willie Nelson & Leon Russell, and many more. Josh and Sonya’s performance was the most recent rendition of the song and it was done at the Opry.
Josh Turner and Sonya Isaacs Share the Stage
Josh Turner has the perfect voice for a gospel tune. There is honesty to the sound that he makes and it perfectly blended with Sonya’s voice. The performance started with Turner and his guitar until he was joined by Sonya during the chorus part. Their performance gave justice to the song as they stuck to the original arrangement and melody. Sometimes, musicians tend to rearrange the song and change the notes but this classic hit should be done the way that Hank did it.
Seeing the Light
The gospel tune was inspired by a story of Hank and his mother while they were driving home. Lillie, Hank’s mother, was trying to wake a sleeping Hank and she said: “I just saw the light” as they passed by a streetlight indicating that they are close to home. The country legend wrote the first draft back in 1947. It was not a commercial hit at first but this became one of Hank’s famous track.
The song was ranked first by Country Music Television in their 20 Greatest Songs of Faith in 2005. It also got a biopic film back in 2015 where it starred MCU actors Tom Hiddleston, and Elizabeth Olsen.
Watch Josh Turner and Sonya Isaacs’ Performance here:
grand opry, i saw the light, Josh Turner, Sonya Isaacs
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?