Thomas A. Dorsey’s “Precious Lord, Take My Hand”
Our hardships in life sometimes make us want to give up in life. However, it takes a brave and faithful soul to hold on to God in times of trouble instead of blaming God or questioning him. Rev. Thomas A. Dorsey experienced a tragic event in his life. Dorsey’s wife died when she was giving birth to his son. Also, his son died after a few days. Instead of getting angry at God, Dorsey focused on writing songs. His tragic experience led him to write the song “Precious Lord, Take My Hand.”
“Precious Lord, Take My Hand” is a popular gospel song. Dorsey adapted the “Maitland” tune for his song. “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” became so popular that many artists recorded their version of this gospel song. However, the most notable version was that of Mahalia Jackson. She was inducted into the Grammy’s Hall of Fame because of her version. Moreover, “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” is also known to be Martin Luther King Jr.’s favorite song. Therefore, Jackson performed this song during King’s memorial service.
Other artists who covered Dorsey’s “Precious Lord, Take My Hand” are the following:
- Aretha Franklin
- Elvis Presley
- Roy Acuff
- Tennessee Ernie Ford
- Jim Reeves
- Merle Haggard
- Joey and Rory Feek
- Randy Travis
Joey + Rory’s Version
Joey and Rory Feek’s version of this song was released in 2016 as part of their album Hymns That Are Important to Us. This version is their final album together before the passing of Joey in March 2016. They have recorded songs that they love and known since they were young. Hymns That Are Important to Us reached No. 4 on the Billboard 200. Moreover, the album placed at No. 1 on the Christian Albums and Top Country Albums chart. They have added the song “When I’m Gone” as a bonus track. “When I’m Gone” was previously included in their 2012 album His and Hers.
joey and rory, Precious Lord Take My Hand
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- 15 Top Kenny Chesney Songs Over 25 Years of Country Music
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross