Jesus, being the light of the world, has been made crystal clear in the book of John. It says,
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12)
Is there anything else not clear on that Bible passage? Most probably, there’s none. Saying that ‘Jesus is the light of the world’ must be with conviction. Otherwise, someone would remain wandering in the dark. To help us deepen our understanding of the verse, let’s listen to a song related to it first. The tune itself is entitled “Jesus, Light of the World.”
About the Song
“Jesus, the Light of the World” first appeared on The Finest of the Wheat No. 1: Hymns New and Old for Missionary and Revival Meetings, and Sabbath-Schools (#35). This collection was edited by George D. Elderkin though it’s not clear if he composed the music. Carl Daw, author of Glory to God: a Companion, presumes that the song may have originated from an oral tradition of songs. The stanzas were changed but it used similar melodies. Daw identified a total of nine songs with a tune, response, and refrain similar to Elderkin’s song. It includes some parts of Charles Wesley’s hymn “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” combined with a song entitled “Jesus, the Light of the World.” Interestingly, Elderkin’s has copyrighted this song. Probably, that’s his means of protecting his association of Wesley’s words and the “Walk in the Light” refrain.
Folks, did this piece make your day? We would be glad to hear your thoughts or experiences related to the song. Likewise, please do not forget to hit the like button and share the inspiration with your friends and loved ones. Here on Country Thang Daily, we strive to bring you a daily dose of cutting-edge entertainment through country gospel music and their interesting stories.
Carl Daw, Charles Wesley, George D. Elderkin, Jesus, Light of the World
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film